Pages

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A busy weekend in the garden

I have been very inspired by a fellow Cantabrian with a gorgeous garden blog- Ruth at Deep into the Darkness Peering (see link at sidebar). So much so that I rolled up my sleves and spent 3 days in the garden. My aim is to grow plants from seed- preferably heirloom and feed the family. With tomatoes currently $7.99 a kg at the local supermarket this just makes good sense!!

I was so inspired I purchased a plastic glasshouse which was delivered on Tuesday- can't wait to get it up and running. Tomatoes in Christchurch have been very disappointing over the last couple of years- only ripening at the very end of the season. Hopefully this will make a difference. Plus with somes shelves I'll be able to start my seedlings, saving more money.

My new baby- can't wait to get it put together.
I'm also getting 10 bales of pea straw delivered on Saturday and I'll be off to a friends to get some free horse poo. I've taken some before photos of my rather overgrown and unloved garden, hopefully this will be a visual diary of my progress. I've had a go in the past at planting and it didn't "take". I feel more positive with all the amazing self sufficiency and frugal blogs out there, so watch this space!!

Aerial view over black and red currents to raised bed.
Aerial view of raised bed and sad end of season tomato plants.
Rosie dog and nectarine tree on left.
Compost tumbler and cabbage trees now removed.
Raised bed- has had work done on it, so I'll be able to take an after picture.
2 Feijoa trees and convolvulus patch. This needs to be cleared as it is the biggest useful bit I have.
Mint plant, rhubarb, nectarine tree and 2 grape vines.
Strawberry patch- never done well as it's too shady. I have chopped a tree down and may relocate patch.

I have some good features in the garden already- 2 lemon trees, 4 feijoa trees, 3 apple trees, golden peach tree, nectarine tree, 2 pear trees, 2 grapevines, black and red currants and a couple of other productive plants. I have always made compost- I have a 3 bin system, tumbler and small black compost container. A worm farm, one raised bed and now a fabulous greenhouse. What more could a girl want? So......this will be the year of the garden. Over Winter I will get the trees cut down that shade the garden and clear the weeds- I also have a horrible convovulus problem. Come Spring I'll be ready to go.
Wish me luck and I'll be back with progress pictures soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment